Writing skills are an important part of communication. Being able to write can open lots of doors for you and make you communicate with people you can’t see. A good writing skill to some extent is tied to the level of success you are likely to have. For instance having a good writing skill can help you achieve a good academic result. You can land a career in writing or even gain access to some companies through some proposals you might have written and sent. Having a good writing skill comprises knowing the correct spelling of words, using the right grammar, using grammatically correct words, using the right punctuations, and organising words appropriately.
Mind tools.com gives some tips on how you can structure your writing and get your message clearly to your audience. Some of the tips include to:
- Start with your audience – Remember, your readers may know nothing about what you’re telling them. What do they need to know first?
- Create an outline – This is especially helpful if you’re writing a longer document such as a report, presentation, or speech. Outlines help you identify which steps to take, in which order, and they help you break the task up into manageable pieces of information.
- Try some empathy – For instance, if you’re writing a sales letter for prospective clients, why should they care about your product or sales pitch? What’s the benefit for them? Remember your audience’s needs at all times.
- Use the Rhetorical Triangle – If you’re trying to persuade someone to do something, make sure that you communicate why people should listen to you, pitch your message in a way that engages your audience, and present information rationally and coherently. An article on the Rhetorical Triangle can help you make your case in the most effective way.
- Identify your main theme – If you’re having trouble defining the main theme of your message, pretend that you have 15 seconds to explain your position. What do you say? This is likely to be your main theme.
- Use simple language – Unless you’re writing a scholarly article, it’s usually best to use simple, direct language. Don’t use long words just to impress people.
It is important to know that your writing skills can be tied to your vocabulary and consequently the extent of your intelligence, which is why it is advisable for one to regularly improve your writing skills.