The idea of writing a novel can be an exciting experience, but the processes involved, from start to finish, could seem like too high a mountain to climb. A lot of writers are faced with this and most times shy away from writing a novel because of it. Since you have most probably started your novel, which could be why you are reading this article, here are some tips to help you finish your work.
- Go for a run: It doesn’t have to be a run, but you should engage in any physical exercise or activity that excites you in order to get energized to finish your work.
- Create a realistic timeline: It is important to create a timeline for your work, but it also has to be realistic. Take note of how many pages you will write on a daily basis or on a weekly basis and stick to it.
- Skip any passage that is slowing you down: It is possible that you have not been able to finish your novel because you can’t seem to come up with an idea for a particular passage. Rather than staying stuck on that passage, just move forward and keep writing, then you can get back to it later.
- Avoid distractions: One of the ways to complete your novel is to go somewhere with fewer distractions when you need to write. That way, you will be able to get more done in a short amount of time.
- Avoid perfectionism: Trying to attain perfection in writing usually takes a lot of time and is usually almost impossible to attain. So, when you are writing, avoid going back to re-write or change things constantly. Just keep writing until you are done with the whole book.
After you are done with the writing, you can now re-write and edit thoroughly.
It is also important that you don’t compare yourself to other writers so that you don’t get discouraged; just focus on getting your novel out of your head, one chapter at a time till you get to the end.
All the best.